Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Ginataang Baboy with Papaya




So exciting!
Last week I ordered Filipino food through facebook.
We were gonna go there before the Lockdown, but since with
everything thats happening.
We might not be able to go there personally.


But, good thing is that I can still buy stuff from there. 
I received my order yesterday!!
I was so excited like its Christmas!!! :)



There's so many I can make now.
But, of course I have to use the fresh ones first.

And I picked these Papayas!
It's very rare to find a papaya like this anywhere.
I can't say that it's only Asian use this for cooking.
But, Papaya is mostly dessert.
You usually find them already ripe.


Never like this.


I love love Papaya. 
My mom made this dish for us one time when I was still living in the Philippines.
...And ever since, its what I always request for her to make. 

I have been bugging her to make it for me when she was here, but of course we couldn't find the perfect Papaya. 
So, the craving had to wait.

I'm so happy I don't need to wait any longer!!!



I added Pork and Spinach to my Mama's usual dish.
Just so my husband can appreciate it and enjoy it. haha



Ginataang Baboy with Papaya

Ingredients


  • ½ lb. pork shoulder cut into cubes
  • 1 cup fresh malunggay leaves or spinach
  • 1 small unripe papaya sliced into wedges
  • 5 pieces Thai or bird’s eye chili peppers
  • 2 ½ cups coconut cream kakang gata
  • 3 thumbs ginger sliced into thin strips
  • 1 medium yellow onion chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic crushed
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 Knorr pork cube
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
  • 3 tablespoons cooking oil

Instructions

  • Heat oil in a cooking pot.
  • Sauté garlic, onion, and ginger until the onion gets soft.
  • Add the pork and ground black pepper. Continue to sauté until it turns brown.
  • Pour the coconut cream and water into the pot. Let boil.
  • Add the Knorr pork cube. Set the heat to low. Cover the pot and then continue to cook for 40 minutes or until the pork gets tender.
  • Add the papaya and chili peppers. Stir and then cook for 10 minutes.
  • Add the Spinach and fish sauce. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
  • Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with warm rice.



I think I did alright with this dish. 

Me and hubby almost ate all of it. 
Not much leftovers. 

Let me know what you guys think!!

xoxo
-Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment