Monday, April 18, 2016

Brazo de Mercedes





I have been baking lately, Like I will never have time to bake ever.
It's possible. Really possible.. 
Little K.J. are going to be here in a month and few months after that 
we are going to get ready for our big move. 
I am so excited to share with you guys our next adventure. 
But, for now I'm going to enjoy moments I get to have for myself. 
..And baking is one of my favorite things to do when I have a chance.

Today, I made this Filipino dessert called Brazo de mercedes
One of those dessert/dish that I can say that I can't believe I got to make.

Brazo de mercedes is a type of Jelly roll cake made with meringue.
If you don't have patience this dessert is not one for you,
It takes a long time to make the meringue but I swear it's so worth it.
Like what I always say, Anything taste better homemade.
Especially if you are the one who made it. 

I love finding recipe that is so detailed that there's picture for instructions.
So that's what I've been trying to do here on my blog.
Let me know what you guys think!


Brazo de Mercedes

Ingredients:

For Meringue:
  • 10 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
Filling:
  • 10 egg yolks
  • 1 (12 oz) can condensed milk
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon extract
Topping:
  • 5 tbsp confectioner's sugar (or more)



Directions:
  • To make the meringue, combine egg whites and cream of tartar then beat using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until the texture is semi-firm.


  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a slightly greased cookie sheet with wax paper. Slightly greased the surface of the wax paper. (Doing this will prevent the meringue from sticking after baking. Place the meringue on top and spread evenly using a spatula. Bake the meringue for 20 minutes or until it is light brown.


  • Let the meringue rest for a little bit and make the filling.(The meringue will deflate when its cool down, Don't Panic, that's the way it is.) 
  • Make the filling by combining the egg yolks and condensed milk in a small sauce pan and cook in medium low heat. Stir the mixture continuously until it becomes thick. Add the lemon extract to the mixture and mix thoroughly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
  • When the meringue is ready work a spatula under the wax paper to loosen it. Sprinkle 3 tbsp of confectioners sugar on top of the meringue. Have another baking sheet and wax paper ready.
  • Lay the wax paper on top of the meringue, then put the other baking sheet on top. Flip them over carefully then lift off the pan holding the meringue, peel off the wax carefully. Don't worry there are small portions that stick as they will not be visible when the meringue is rolled.
  • With the long side facing you, spread the filling over the meringue.


  • Carefully lift the meringue and roll forward. Carefully peel of the wax paper when you have rolled half of the meringue, keep rolling until the long sides overlap. The meringue should be seam side down.
  • Remove from wax paper and transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle remaining confectioner's sugar.
  • Slice and serve!


Enjoy!


Note: If you are not serving it yet, keep the wax paper on and store it in a cake box and put in a cool dry place. Do not refrigerate! Refrigerating will cause the sugar in the meringue to liquefy and weep out. When ready to serve, remove wax paper and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.


Have a great week guys!

xo




2 comments:

  1. how long or how many days can I store without refrigerating.. thank you..

    ReplyDelete