Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Homemade Taho






Happy Sunday everyone!
I hope you are having a relaxing Sunday.
We are, It so good to just have a relaxing day with my boys.
For today's breakfast I had some Taho. 
I have been craving for this.

Taho is a Philippine street food sold by peddlers known as "Magtataho" 
Taho is like a soft gelatin-like snack/breakfast in the Philippines made 
in Processed soybeans topped with caramel and sago.

Since I got here in the U.S I never had taho.
I'm so glad I finally got to make some.

This homemade version is made with Silken tofu.
Silken tofu was kind of hard to find, I only got to find it at the Asian Store.
Sago takes a bit of time to make. 
It's much better if you make it the day before you planned on having Taho.
Making it is not complicated at all, Just takes a little bit of time.

If you miss it like I do, I recommend this recipe. 
Let me know what you think.

Ingredients:
  • 22 ounces silken tofu
For the Sago:
  • 4 Cups water
  • 1/2 cup uncooked sago pearls (tapioca pearls)
  • 1/4 Cup brown sugar
For the Sweet syrup:
  • 1/2 Cup water
  • 1 Cup brown sugar
Directions:

For the Sago:
  • Pour 4 cups of water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil
  • Put in the tapioca pearls and cook for 40 minutes in the medium heat.
  • Add 1/4 cup brown sugar and mix well.
  • Turn off the heat and let the sago sit in the cooking pot until room temperature. Set aside.
For the sweet syrup:
  • Heat a saucepan then pour in 1/2 cup water.
  • Put in 1 cup brown sugar once the water starts to boil. Mix well until the mixture becomes thick.Set aside.
Serving:
  • Steam the tofu for 5-10 minutes 
  • Transfer tofu in a glass, top it with cooked tapioca pearls (sago) and sweet syrup.
  • Serve warm. Enjoy.






I enjoyed every bite. 

Have a good day friends!

xo
-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment