Saturday, November 15, 2014

Homemade Apple pie

 
My First homemade Apple pie from scratch!
 
 
Hello everyone!
 
I have been wanting to make this for a long long time now, and I wanted to make it from scratch! (I love a challenge)
 
There's a lot of recipes I found  on the internet and finally after a long long time of searching. I found the perfect one!  
 
This recipe is perfect for somebody like me who haven't made homemade apple pie ever! Easy, And I swear it was so delicious!
 
 

 
Ingredients:
Crust
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. Salt
  • 1/4 tsp. Ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tbsp. Ground cinnamon
  • 2/3 Cups Cold unsalted butter (cut into chunks)
  • 4-5 tbsp. Cold water
Filling
  • 1/2 Cup sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. Ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 Tsp. Ground nutmeg
  • 5-6 Medium /Large Honey-Crisp (or other tart cooking apples) Peeled, Sliced 1/4 -Inch Thick.
 
Topping
  • 1 Tbsp. Butter
  • 2 Tsp. Sugar
 
Directions:
  • Heat oven to 350F.
  • In electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add in the chunks the of butter until the mixture resembles "streusel" crumbs.

 
 
  • Slowly stir in the water until mixture is moist.



  • Roll the dough into a ball.
 

 
  • Divide the ball in half. Roll each half into a ball and flatten tightly. Wrap one ball and refrigerate.


 
 
 


  • Roll the remaining ball on a floured surface. Roll out the dough into a 12- inch circle.
  • Place dough into a 9- inch pan. I had a hard time keeping the dough together, so when I placed the dough into the pan, I pieced it together with my fingertips, It worked just as great!
I still need practice working with the pie crust!



  • Combine all the filling ingredients.
  •  Add the coated apples to the pie crust.
 
                           
 
This was challenging for me. I know it will get better after practicing. I added an extra dough crust around the edges to connect it with the bottom layer.
 
  • Just roll out the refrigerated dough into 9-10 inch circle and slice with a pizza cutter.

 
Felt like I was failing big time. But thank you Pinterest!
I'm such a Perfectionist, This apple pie taste good but I really want to make sure it will look good, which I think It did.. I think! haha!
  •  When you are done with the crust, Melt the Tbsp of butter and paint it onto the outer crust.
  • Sprinkle sugar all over the top of the crust (Add more if desired, which I did!)
  • Bake apple pie for about 45 minutes. Check every 2 minute after the 30 minute mark  because all ovens cook differently. The edges will be lightly brown as well as the top.

 
 
Let it cool for 10 minutes, and serve with vanilla ice cream!
 
My hubby who doesn't really like apple pie approves! That made my night! :)
 
Enjoy!!
 
Xo-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment